Welcome from the Head of School
Welcome to Willows Preparatory School! We are an IB World School, dedicated to offering an outstanding International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum for children in Grades 5-12.
A key part of the mission of the IB is to prepare internationally minded students with a global worldview. This comes easily to our very diverse student population, whose families come from more than 35 different countries. Our school is part of the International Schools Partnership (ISP), and our students and teachers connect and collaborate with ISP schools all around the world. We are fully engaged in preparing caring and talented global citizens.
The IB curriculum is all about studying and understanding complex real-world problems, and our students engage daily in fun, exciting explorations of their environment and learn to develop and apply their mathematics, research, and analysis skills to authentic problem solving.
Our students are high achievers academically, with most working well above grade level. Additionally, our program ensures that our students are well-rounded, caring individuals. WPS students participate in a wide variety of arts, sports, and clubs, carry out community service projects, and find many ways to express their individuality.
I thank you for your interest in WPS and invite you to contact us with your inquiries. We look forward to speaking with you!
Head of School
Bellevue Children’s Academy® (BCA®) was started as a tutoring center in 1992 by Yuka Shimizu. The success of the tutoring center led to the opening of BCA in September 1999 with nine students. By 2013 the school occupied three campuses in Bellevue, offering programs for Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 8. In early 2014, Bellevue Children’s Academy purchased the 15-acre site of Washington Cathedral Church in nearby Redmond. BCA relocated the middle school to the new site and was branded Willows Preparatory School (WPS®). The popularity of the middle school led to the development of a high school on the same campus. WPS’s first graduating class will be in 2023!
In 2015, BCA® began working to have International Baccalaureate® (IB) accreditation. BCA® and WPS® are now accredited for Primary Years Programme, Middle Years Programme, and Diploma Years Programme.
WPS is a proud member of the International Schools Partnership® (ISP®), a consortium of 50 international schools of choice recognized across local communities and the global education sector for amazing learning, ambition, and growth.
Why choose WPS?
- World Class Education through our International Baccalaureate World School Accreditation
- Promoting a global perspective through a collaborative and rigorous learning environment using the IB framework
- Academic Excellence
- Advanced robust curriculum that inspires students to thrive
- Depth vs Acceleration
- Beyond pure memorization of facts into understanding and application
- Inquiry-Based Learning
- Fostering curiosity and developing the skills needed to acquire knowledge both inside and outside the classroom
- Small Class Sizes: 14 students per class (average class size)
- Nurturing and student-centered classroom environments
- Specialist Classes: Art, Music, Physical Education, Spanish, Design
- Creating a well-rounded learning experience
- Before/Afterschool Programs and Clubs
- Varied Academic extracurriculars, clubs, and sports designed for competition and enrichment
- Global Experience Opportunities
- International exchange programs in collaboration with 50 other schools around the world